Wednesday, March 28, 2012

in which there is snow excuse

Photobucket

It is cold, and snowy.  Boo.  I've all but given up trying to "think spring," and retreated back into my woolen skirts and warm coats.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(dress: h&m; skirt: goodwill; scarf: vintage via etsy; shoes: seychelles)

Monday night K and I went on a date, and it was great :)  We hardly ever get to go out anymore because he's always studying or writing papers or working weekend nights, so it was a welcome treat.  We were both craving straight-up Italian food, so we scouted out this homey little place in Winooski called Papa Frank's, where they served all of the basics.  We both got huge helpings of fettucine alfredo with broccoli (his also with chicken), a basket of buttery garlic bread, and a half carafe of chianti for dirt.cheap.  It was just what we needed.  After lingering a while over our wine, we went to the late showing of "Friends with Kids," which I've been wanting to see for ages.  Not only was it written and directed by Jennifer Westfeldt (one of my favorites; she also did "Kissing Jessica Stein" and "Ira & Abby," which are both great), but it was basically a cast-sequel to "Bridesmaids" (starring Jon Hamm [Westfeldt's boyfriend of a decade, who knew!], Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph, in addition to the fabulous Adam Scott ["Party Down" anyone?]). I really enjoyed it (no surprise there).  Her movies are always very much romantic comedies, but they're so much more clever and well-written than most of the crap out there these days.  She seems to write every script with the intention of NOT following the standard rom-com rules (in Jessica Stein she experiments with lesbianism because she's having no luck with men; in Ira & Abby she marries a man within 24 hours of meeting him [because why not?]; and in this latest two friends decide to have a baby together--not because they want to be together, but because they simply want a baby).  Recommended.  Also recommended (for me): more date nights with K.

In other news, you may have noticed that there is snow on the ground.  So much for not sticking.  Ironically, I got my summer tires put on just yesterday... jinx?

6 comments:

  1. Boo snow!! Yuck, I'm not a fan of the white stuff right now. But I am a huge fan of this skirt, perfect with the striped top.
    That sounds like the perfect date, I've been wanting to see that movie, I'm going to have to now!!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely date night! (now I want Italian food too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this look on you. that red skirt is fab! and thanks for the movie recommendation, I thought it looked pretty great. I will have to check it out soon!

    christen
    fashionplatecheapskate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hattitude Style Blog

    argh such a jinx! that always happens!
    I've never seen or heard of friends with kids. I'll have to check it out. Although I'm finding more and more...I don't know where to go and rent movies anymore?! I just moved to vancouver and have not really seen any video stores to rent from. We don't have cable so that's out for rentals. I'm afraid our kids generation will never know the feeling of being disappointed when you go the movie store and all the movies are out already that you want to see!

    talk soon wild child
    -Hattie
    Hattitude Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your outfit! and I wish you spring weather ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The outfit is really cute, I love the skirt and accessories! Nice lipstick on you as well :)

    ReplyDelete